The Society for Dance Documentation and History
The Society for Dance Documentation and History is the largest dance research society in Korea. It was established on March 20th, 2014 after the ‘The Korea Society for Dance Documentation’ and ‘The Society for the History of Korean Dance’ merged. The goal of the society is to find glocal and integrated ways for dance studies that a future society demands. Its mission is find new methods and improve the research environment for dance studies in Korea, so as to contribute to the development of Korean dance studies. To this end, the society will reinforce the disciplinary foundation of dance arts and pursue advanced research in dance through the following diverse academic activities and information exchange among national and international scholars.
Publication of Scholarly Journal and Research Monographs
1. This society publishes the Journal of Dance Society for Documentation and History which is registered with the National Research Foundation of Korea.
The journal comes out four times a year at the end of March, June, September and December, and aims to be an exemplary specialized journals in dance studies.
2. Moreover, the society publishes the Dance Documentation and History monograph series for books by its members. In years to come, the Dance Documentation and History series will contribute to improvements in research on dance.
Academic Symposia and Events
1. This society will stimulate national and international exchanges between scholars and broaden the horizon of Korean dance studies by hosting national and international academic symposia to encourage new and meaningful research in dance studies.
2. Furthermore, the society will expand the base of dance culture by holding events that reflect the reconstruction, reproduction and creativity of research in dance documentation and history.
Seminars on Dance Studies
1. The society hosts a special lecture on dance documentation and history every month and invites experts in humanities,
culture and arts from home and abroad to talk about growing challenges and issues in their fields in order to provide a venue to take stock of dance and dance studies.
2. In addition, the society will lead an effort to improve the research culture for dance studies as it continues to hold a writing forum for dance scholars to instill research ethics and to improve their academic skill set.
Scholarship and Academic Support Program
1. The society has various support programs to cultivate new generations of talent such as scholarship programs and research counseling.
2. Moreover, it distributes a young researcher award under the auspices of Shimso Kim Cheon-heung shamanic art conservatory and supports the academic activities of young dance scholars.